- Incentive Website
- Incentive Status: Active
- Application Due Date: Ongoing
- Program Duration: Continuous
The Voluntary Self-Certification Program allows for licensed design professionals to voluntarily "Self-Certify" building plans to expedite the issuance of building permits.
"Self Certification", "Self-Certify", or "Self-Certified" means the submission to the City's Building Official is: (i) made by a licensed design professional, identified in the building permit application; (ii) accompanies plans filed with the Building Division by that licensed design professional; and (iii) that design professional attests such plans (1) do not contain any false information, (2) are in compliance with the requirements of the applicable state and City of Bellflower laws, codes, rules and regulations, and (3) were prepared by or under the direct supervision of, and signed and stamped by, that licensed design professional.
"Licensed Design Professional" means the California licensed architect or engineer, as applicable, identified as such on the building permit application and accompanying plans.
"Building Official" means the Building Official of the City of Bellflower or his/her designee.
- Eligible Participants: Applicants must be registered and be in good standing as a licensed design professional with the State of California.
- Insurance Requirements: For a project to be accepted for Self-Certification, the licensed design professional is required to furnish the Building Official a Certificate of Professional Liability Insurance, issued by an insurer authorized to insure in the State of California. The amount required coverage will be reasonably determined by the City Manager or his designee; typically, a minimum of $1,000,000, but not less than the valuation of the permitted project.
- Optional Prescreening Process: The licensed design professional, who intends on filing an application with a Self-Certification, may meet with appropriate City staff for a courtesy prescreening of the proposed project to ensure the submittal is complete.
- Submittal Requirements: The licensed design professional, who intends on filing an application with a Self-Certification, shall submit that application to participate in the program to the Building Official. Self-Certified plans shall contain all the information listed in the City of Bellflower handout regarding building design criteria. A Self-Certification form and a "hold harmless" letter must be completed in its entirety and submitted for each project by the design team and the property owner. The Self-Certification program will be all inclusive; all construction trade work that requires permits for the project shall be Self-Certified. Each page of the plans submitted must be wet-stamped and signed by a licensed design professional for each applicable trade.
- Non-Building Division Approvals: The licensed design professional, who intends on filing an application with a Self-Certification, shall provide documentation to the Building Official demonstrating final approvals of any applicable City Divisions/Departments, such as Planning, Public Works, and Engineering, prior to issuance of permit. The licensed design professional shall also provide documentation to the Building Official appropriate approvals of any applicable "outside" agency. Those outside agencies include, but are not limited to the following: Los Angeles County Fire Department, Los Angeles County Health Department, school districts, Air Quality Management District, and Los Angeles County Sanitation District.
- Fees: All fees set forth in the City's Comprehensive Fee Schedule will apply.
- Permit Issuance: Applications that have met all the criteria of the Voluntary Self-Certification Program will be issued a building permit the same day of completed and approved application submittal. If a contractor is obtaining the permit, the contractor must be in good standing with the State of California. A valid City of Bellflower business license is required for any contractor or sub-contractor associated with the permit.
- Inspection Protocol: All code-required State of California or City of Bellflower inspections are required.
- Audits: All Self-Certified plans are subject to auditing by the Building Official to determine whether plans are in compliance with the applicable state and City of Bellflower laws, codes, rules, and regulations. If plans are found to be in non-compliance, then the licensed design professional who intends on filing an application with a Self-Certification will ensure compliance. If compliance is not obtained within a reasonable amount of time, the Building Official may report the non-compliance items to the appropriate licensing board with the State of California.
Do I Qualify?
How to Apply
Application FeesThe project submittal to the City of Bellflower will be subject to the fees and deposits set forth in the City's Comprehensive Fee Schedule. Please contact our Building and Safety Division at (562) 804-1424 ext. 2274 for more information regarding fees and deposits.
For more information visit our website or call (562) 804-1424 ext. 2274. You can send us an email using form below.