- Incentive Website
- Incentive Status: Active
- Application Due Date: Ongoing
- Available Funds: Award amounts are dependent on the number of jobs created by a project.
- Total Allocation: Funding is dependent upon individual projects
Kern County’s incentive program includes:
- The opportunity for rebates of sales tax, use tax, and property tax for qualifying projects, and will add transient occupancy tax rebates for the first time, setting the stage for opportunities for more meaningful, robust and competitive incentive packages in pursuit of impactful business investment.
- The County’s incentive agreements prioritize sustained, full-time job creation, at better-than-living wage rate for Kern County.
- The County recently expanded the list of targeted industry clusters for these incentives, to include: e-commerce, general manufacturing and destination retail.
- The initiative provides for maximum flexibility in pursuing opportunities with performance-based incentives requiring quantitative thresholds, tested for accountability.
- New business ventures will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for overall net benefit and value added, with incentives tailored to meet County objectives.
Do I Qualify?
Kern County's local incentive is based on pay-for-performance, with businesses only receiving incentives that they earn.
• Incentives include potential rebates of sales and use tax and property tax. Transient occupancy tax rebates may be included in pursuit of quality lodging opportunities for tourism.
• The program’s focus is on new, full-time job creation, rather than capital investment, at better than the living wage rate for Kern County (as determined by MIT, www.livingwage.mit.edu/metros/12540). The MIT basis will be used because the rate changes annually.
• Targeted industry clusters include: value-added agriculture, manufacturing, supply chain management & logistics, e-commerce and warehouse distribution, health & medical care, destination retail, hospitality and tourism-related industry and services, medical technologies, aerospace and defense, and other projects deemed to have economic significance.
• Designed for flexibility, the performance-based program requires quantitative thresholds to be tested periodically for accountability.
• The County will review applicants on a case-by-case basis. Overall net benefits and incentives will be tailored accordingly.
• Applications will be evaluated on a cost-benefit basis and incentives, with incentives offered on a per project basis. Complicated projects may require evaluation by an outside consultant at the applicant’s expense.
• Any incentives offered of more than $100,000 will require a public hearing.
• Program details and application are available at https://advancekern.com/.
How to Apply
For more information visit our website or call (661) 868-3198. You can send us an email using form below.